« Home | Ladies and Gentlemen...Introducing... » | Pachchamala Poovu .. Updated » | Hi Everybody..WISH YOU A HAPPY NEW YEAR » | SANGEETHA MEGAM....again » | I'll be back » | Kaadhalin Deepam Ondru.... » | Template changed ..... » | Kannae Kalaimaane v1.1 » | Pesakoodathu..... » | From Log Cabin to White House » 

Thursday, April 20, 2006 

Now reading

The evergeen classic in Tamil Literature and an Epic in every sense of the word, Ponniyin Selvan.



There is an english translation of Ponniyin selvan that is now available. Although, it is great that non-tamil people can read and enjoy the book, The thamizh language and the flow used by Dr.Kalki makes the reading a really wonderful experience. It is one of the best researched and extremely well written books I have ever read( That includes the LOTR trilogy).

There is also a rumour that there are attempts to make this into a movie. I strongly feel that some books must be left with one's imagination. I have a mental picture of how Vandiyathevan (The Hero) or Kundavai (Raja Raja Chola's Elder sister) or Nandini (My Favorite) would look like. And I do not want to change that. I have read it twice already and this is the third time. Every time, I start reading it, I feel the same excitement and everytime, I end it, I have the same feeling. Bliss.

hey krishna...i think i read a review for a tamil movie with the same name..but i doubt if that was based on the "puranas"..neways interesting...

@Anup,
It is not the same. Selvan kinda means "Son" in Thamizh. This book is called because Ponni = Cauvery and Tanjore is in the banks of Cauvery. So Son of Cauvery, the river. The movie I guess had that name as the hero's mom was named Ponni, just so they can title the movie Ponniyin Selvan. Good Marketing strategy.:D

Post a Comment